Broadwood's Best/ Garrett

SidewaysWell1713@AOL.COM SidewaysWell1713@AOL.COM
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 11:24:40 EDT

joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> Bremmer,
> If I wanted to talk about your EBVT, I would have asked! God, can't you give
> it a rest once in a while?
> I was inquiring about the two (2) "Broadwoods Best" Temperaments in the "Big
> Red". To be frank, I could really give a sh** about your EBVT and You!
> You're getting to be a royal pain in the A**
>
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>
> Been There, Didn't Like It, So I'm Here To Stay! [G}

Garrett,

Then do what David I. says, only listen to Ed Foote (but it won't drive me
crazy).  Ed didn't give you an answer to your question, so I will.  As I said
in my first post, which *was* an answer to your question, the "Best" tuners
of the time, (the late 19th Century), were the ones who were getting the
closest to ET.  Now, it does seem to me too that there can only be one "best"
but here is the distinction:  there are two different kinds of temperament
tuned by tuners who were considered to be among the best.

The first is a Victorian style, Well Tempered Tuning while the second is a
Quasi Equal Temperament (Quasi means "almost").  I you try to follow the
aural tuning instructions for the first, it will be a guessing game. There
are only two, odd instances where two intervals are supposed to end up
beating equally.  So, the solution is Ed Foote's solution, dial in deviations
of a deviation and you'll supposedly get what they did or even more
pretentiously, what the composers of the era intended.

But with only whole numbered deviations, the inherent inaccuracies of both
ETD programs and individual piano scaling, what you'll end up with are
different results on each piano.  Good luck getting even those two intervals
which are supposed to beat the same to do so.

Now, even worse, if you think closer to ET must be the "best", you'll get
those famous *imbalances* that Ed Foote was blowing off steam about in his
recent post.  I didn't see anyone cussing at him the way you did at me but
after all, whatever Ed says must be true and unquestionable, right?  He said
there was no precedent in Historical Temperaments for *imbalances* but many
of the late 19th Century temperaments do have them.  Ed Foote, in fact
recorded the whole Chopin number on his CD in a temperament which had nothing
but imbalances:  Reverse Well.

Obviously, you failed to get my point.  Ed Foote often recommends this
temperament, often as his answer to what I do.  He'll see that some people
just can't trust themselves to tune 4 pure 5ths and 4 other intervals which
beat exactly the same, at a comfortable rate to estimate and hear, 6 beats
per second.  He wants *you* to doubt yourself as a professional piano
technician, that *you* NEED an ETD to help you.  He wants you to reject and
scoff at a simple, logical and obviously easy to effect bearing plan in favor
of spending lots of time at each tuning, dialing in irrational numbers.  Of
course, no one would ever make any errors doing this.

Ed Foote wants you to tune this way because he doesn't ever want you to
really understand what it is you're doing.  It's all mysterious, irrational
numbers which seem to never form any kind of pattern.  Oh sure, he'll show
you a graph.  The one that seems smooth with regular proportions is best,
right?  Ed would have you believe so and it would *seem* logical.

Teaching you poor, uneducated masses these principles, he can keep you bowing
to him as the guru of the HT's.  Look at the graphs, choose the smooth one
that isn't too far off ET and copy the numbers out of the Big Red Book.
Don't read too much of the text, though, because you might learn something he
doesn't want you to think about, just copy the numbers and dial them into
your ETD.

You'll have one of two reactions from your customers:  WOW!!! or I don't like
it, BACK to ET!  Then, of course, you have to be politically correct, like Ed
and be able to and *endorse* ET as the *accepted* way to tune.  Never mind
any of that rot which I've dug up about many people believing in ET but who
can't and never have tuned it and a whole society which has rarely even heard
it.   No, no, that just couldn't be.

Just direct all your questions to Ed Foote, as David I. says.  He knows, it's
always worked for him.  Once he passed that exam, he threw that tuning fork
away and has dialed in numbers ever since and never had a problem.

I have never used those numbers to try to tune either one of the "Best"
Broadwood temperaments, I never will and I do not recommend that to anyone.
Ed Foote recommends it often.

You have the choice about what to do and so do I.

"Sideways Well":  the pit Ed Foote dug for himself to wallow in the day he
knowingly published false data for the EBVT on Pianotech.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin