wood - was: removing key pins

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 09:51:25 +0200

Ken Jankura wrote:

> > "Holes in wood get smaller as humidity goes down..."
> >
> > I have heard this before. Believe me, I am not trying to start an
> arguement - just trying to understand. If a hole gets smaller, then why do
> tuning pins get more loose with lower humidity?
> >
> > Terry Farrell

Thats just silly Terry :) Everybody knows that this is because the air inside
the hole gets even bigger then the actuall size of the hole gets smaller.
Shhheeesshh... You tell that Roger guy to stop flating you !

>     Still I think there were a couple guys in the chapter who were thinking
> 'I don't care what I just saw with my very own eyes, pinblocks loosen up in
> the winter, he must be wrong'. Let's please leave plywood out of discussions
> about how wood acts, it has its very own rules and differences and
> tendencies. So don't expect Delignit to act like a piece of pine or maple
> please.

A decent enough point.... does it apply to 3 ply and 5 ply restplanks as well
then ? I've heard it also claimed that lowering the humidity causes the "grip"
of the wood to lessen... have no idea if that makes any sense at all.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.