A BIG BUZZZZZZ!

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 00:28:28 -0500

Re: The Square. Aw, Joe. The customer only pretended to be happy. Truth =
is, you broke her heart: She was hoping to make a desk out of it. Who =
shot it, anyway? Must have been a tech.

Didn't know if it would be too "OT" (new term I learned here) and bore =
people. But since you described your day, here was my very memorable =
yesterday:

8 hours in a nursing home doing major work on a Chickering older than =
most of their residents (1910). Piano can't be moved to any place more =
private than right where it is. So ...

Gentleman in wheelchair kept rolling past very, veeeery slowly, saying =
"Come on, come on. Can't get goin'. Come on, come on. Can't get goin'." =
Over and over again.

Woman kept alternating between crying and SCREAMING the filthiest =
obscenities you can imagine, telling everyone in sight where to go and =
what to do when they get there (things not anatomically possible, BTW). =
Over and over again.

Lady in wheelchair kept rolling past asking everyone for spare change. =
Over and over again.

Another lady in wheelchair rolled up as I was bringing some new bass =
strings up to the neighborhood of pitch (Mister Rogers?). She said: =
"Play Deep Purple." "The piano isn't ready to play," says I, "I'm here =
to fix it and tune it." "Okay," she says, "then play Stardust." "I =
can't." says I. "Okay," she said, "I'll sing it for you." And she did. =
Over and over again.

Man in the room right next to the piano was watching marathon westerns. =
Horses galloping, guns blazing. Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Gunsmoke, =
some baaad movies, and The Lone Ranger. He's pretty deaf, the TV turned =
up to Stun.

(How come Tonto can't say: "He went to town" but CAN say: "Him go town, =
back Wednesday." LOL)

Man in the gunfight room had a small, cheap guitar. He got it out every =
half hour and played for about 10 minutes (TV still going). Sounded =
terrible. Finally offered to tune it for him with my "professional =
tuner." Being a pianer tuna and a concert guitarist, I figured I could =
really improve his instrument. It was waaaaaaaaay off. Tuned it, he said =
thanks and went back to his room. Started playing and it sounded exactly =
as before. Peeked in at him and saw that he was just making up random =
"chords." Over and over again.

Their handyman had done a decent job refinishing the piano. I sold them =
a stencil and lent him a burnisher. He put it on, very nicely. I told =
him to put a coat of the urethane he'd used over the stencil. He did. =
Right there, right then. The fumes finally drove me out.

These are just a few of the highlights. The whole experience was sad, =
funny, and aggravating at the same time. Such mixed emotions are very =
tiring.

I get to go back this week to adjust my new dampers, repair the soft =
pedal assembly (unique design, very Chickering), raise the pitch about =
150 cents on some pretty rusty strings and tune the thing (A435, thank =
you very much)

Pray for me. Over and over again.

Alan R.Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. To demonstrate the "ruralness" of this area: This nursing home is =
an hour from my town. Most of that time you are driving through oak and =
pine forests. You pass through two towns with pop. < 200 and see very =
few mailboxes, let alone houses. There is exactly one place to buy gas =
and get a soda 'twixt here and there. It closes when it gets dark. My =
tunemobile has 214,000 miles on 'er. Keep praying, brothers and sisters, =
I sure do when I'm on that road at 9 PM!