wood - was: removing key pins

Sat, 7 Sep 2002 16:14:32 -0700

It's pretty easy to see that this is not the case.  If you have pulley keys
the first thing to try is steaming the balance rail hole which will swell
the wood and tighten them.  After the wood dries the holes will still be
tight and you will have to ease them somewhat.  This happens inadvertently
when removing key bushings often.  Before cutting kerfs and inserting wood,
I would try steaming them.  It doesn't take much.

David Love

> "Holes in wood get smaller as humidity goes down..."
>
> I have heard this before. Believe me, I am not trying to start an
arguement - just trying to understand. If a hole gets smaller, then why do
tuning pins get more loose with lower humidity?