New Question re: Potential Customers

Sat, 7 Sep 2002 16:06:20 -0700

At each appointment I ask the customer if they would like me to send =
them a reminder notice for the next appointment.  It gives an =
opportunity to discuss the frequency of tunings and their particular =
needs.  Almost always they say yes.  I always send cards a week or so =
prior to the month in which they are due for service since I am usually =
booked out 3-4 weeks.  If I don't hear from them, I call prior to the =
next month's cards being sent to "follow up on the reminder I sent".  I =
often pick up several that way from those who put the card on the shelf =
and forgot about it or who just needed a little prodding.  If they don't =
want the piano tuned I ask if they would like me to send them another =
reminder at one year or whenever (I generally send them out every six =
months).  That keeps me in touch with the customers.  I prefer to send =
cards first because I don't particularly like phone solicitations.  It =
gives them a chance to respond on their own time.   If they don't, I =
feel justified in calling to make sure they got the card because they =
asked me to send it in the first place. =20

David Love

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Ilvedson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 07, 2002 12:42 PM
  Subject: Re: New Question re: Potential Customers

  I like the idea and have some PTG postcards but I have yet to

   give it a try...what do you do with those that don't reply? =20

  David I.

  From: <Wimblees@AOL.COM>
  To: <pianotech@ptg.org>

  In a message dated 9/7/02 6:14:43 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
mathstar@salemnet.com writes:=20

    I've noticed several references to sending out reminder cards, etc.=20

    I have been calling people when it's time (or when I think it's =
time) to=20
    tune. Sometimes I get put off indefinitely or vaguely--they think =
the piano=20
    sounds fine or don't want to spend the $, I suppose.=20

    This feels like I used to when I sold insurance and called to set=20
    appointments ... I don't like the feeling BUT I just think there =
would be=20
    more procrastination and forgotten schedules if I leave it to the =
customer=20
    to call--also more pitch adjustments to deal with, etc.=20

    Your thoughts?=20

  We've talked about this a couple of times in the past. But it never =
hurts to talk about it, especially since we have a lot more newbies on =
the list.=20

  The need for piano tuning is like the need to get your teeth cleaned. =
6 moths or a year goes by in a hurry. And just like your teeth, it is =
difficult to realize something has gone awry, since it happens so =
gradually. That is why a gentle reminder is n

  But, as Alan said, customers don't always respond to a cold call. Most =
of the time customers hang up without really listening to who you are, =
or what your are trying to "sell" them, because to them, you're just =
another phone solicitor.=20

  That is why I send out reminder post cards. There are some available =
from the home office, or you can make your own. The reminder card is a =
non invasive way to let your customers know that it has been 6 months, =
or a year, since you were there, and tha

  It is also a time saver for you. I used to call my customers. I even =
sent them a post card telling them I was going to call them. Then one =
year, over a six month period of time, one month I sent out a post card =
telling the customer I would call them,=20

  That was about 20 years ago, and I have never called a customer to ask =
them to get the piano tuned. They always call me, and I'm saving about 3 =
- 4 hours a week to do other things. The other advantage to the post =
card is that it will get put on the re

  For the little amount of money the post card cost, they are a great =
way to build up your clientele.=20

  Wim=20