New Question re: Potential Customers

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 15:12:19 -0700

I currently have 358 people in my database; I'm fairly ruthless with
deleting people that I haven't talked to in 3-4 years, or who aren't
nice, so that's a pretty realistic picture of my number of clients.
However, the heart of my busines is the 100 or so serious players that
will, year after year, spend $500-1000 per on piano maintenance, and are
addicted to my tuning and voicing and regulating skills. This is yet
another inspiration I got from Ed McMorrow:  find good people that are
fanatic about their instruments, and who understand you get what you pay
for, and trust you, and you'll make a good living forever. I also work
one day a week for the high-end piano store in LA, tweaking their good
pianos, a wonderful source of income and referrals.  Because I really
like people, and have a generally excellent, quasi-intimate relationship
with my clients, they really appreciate a call from me.....sending cards
is, sadly, way beyond my ADD-infected organizational skills----I'm in awe
of you guys that are that organized.  It takes a tremendous amount of
energy and focus for me just to return all my phone calls and show up on
time, which I now do about 95% of the time----but it's taken me years of
struggle to get to that level of reliability.....and I honor my long-term
clients for putting up with my time-management challenges.

It's all about relationships; any successful businessperson will tell you
that.

Best, David Andersen