New Question re: Potential Customers

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:39:04 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <Wimblees@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: New Question re: Potential Customers

> In a message dated Sat, 7 Sep 2002 2:42:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ilvey@sbcglobal.net writes:

> > I like the idea and have some PTG postcards but I have yet to
> >  give it a try...what do you do with those that don't
> > reply?
> > David I.
> >

> I don't do anything. If the customer, for what ever reason, decides not to
have me tuner the piano, that's his/her problem. Perhaps that customer has
moved, gotten another tuner, or simply doesn't feel the piano needs to be
tuned. But I'm not going to chase after them to get the work.

> I don't take them out of my computer either, (or throw away the card with
he information, if you're still keeping record the old fashioned way), until
I get word that he/she is no longer in the area. I have had customers come
back to me after 4 or 6 years, when they finally realized that the cheaper
tuner didn't give them what they wanted.

> Wim

    When I leave the customer after tuning, I recommend tuning yearly (if
its appropriate) and ask them if they would like a reminder call next year
at this time.   Nearly everyone says yes.  When a year has passed, I call,
introduce myself as the piano technician who serviced their piano last year
and ask them if "Their piano would like to see me this year?"  I get about a
50% positive response.
    People's lives in general, are very busy, and most welcome a call to
service their piano especially if there is a piano student in the home.  I
mention the fact that if my dentist didn't call and remind me its time, I
probably would never see him.  They usually agree with a smile.
    Cards for me don't work.  I tried the card routine for a couple of
years, and got almost no response.  Maybe 1 or 2 % return.  Even had some
made up by an artist that I thought were more effective that PTG's.  They
weren't.
    Everyone has their own means of repeat business, and more power to those
whose customers seek them out.  If you're busy, you have arrived!
    Mike Kurta