Currier

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 11:35:56 -0500

>Why do you think this is a problem in Steinways and Baldwins?

It's a personal hang up. I don't like the feel. I've also noticed that the
loose pins tend to be the ones riding the plate. I don't think it's an
ideal work around for not just putting in a decent block in the first
place. And I don't see any earthly reason for Baldwin not having enlarged
their plate holes until just last week when they have for so long been
using concrete pinblocks that pins don't migrate in like they do in the
Steinway block. Those blocks don't need any further support.

>Maybe.  Is that 1200 feet per second?  Sounds like a dynamic, impact,
>non-linear solution.  Very complicated.  But when we got done we could sell
>the results to Smith & Wesson.

Yes, the newest thing in impact drivers. Now we can love the smell of
stringing in the morning! If we just don't string ourselves in the foot.
Might even eliminate pre-drilling altogether.

>I wasn't thinking that the hole in the wood and the hole in the steel would be
>the same size.  Both would be drilled for whatever size you want the hole in
>the wood to be.  Then the steel would be counterbored to a dimension to
>provide support for the pin when it is driven in.  I was thinking slightly
>undersize.  But as Del pointed out perhaps it could be nominal or slightly
>over and deflection of the pin would bring it into contact.  The pinblock
>would provide torque resistance.  The steel would provide tension resistance
>(much more so than the adjacent layer of maple, it seems to me).

Oh, I see. Yea, it would probably work at least as fine as it does with
Steinway. Maybe better with pin to "plate" contact right at the top of the
block instead of at the top of the plate webbing 10mm up.

Ron N