Schimmel Upright question (lost motion)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 11:12:50 +0200

Hello,

True, I've find that a fine tuning of a large lost motion will not
only allow for a smoother touch on many verticals, but a more open
sound, and a better repetition.
It is in fact often necessary on old Yamaha U1, 2 3 series in order to
obtain a good "drop" when the leather have been worn a bit.

Tapping lightly the key with the handle of your regulating tool will
help to reset the things in place to ascertain the evenness of the
feel and of the move of the key. When tapping look at the jack under
the leather, look at the backchecks too, and feel under your finger
till you have a nice smooth feel with a precise start under your
finger.

be careful that the springs (and pinning) of the jack may and of the
hammers may be strong enough to keep the jack in contact when the key
is played.

On Schimmel, the dampers springs are often too strong. lube (McLube on
the damper's  spoon) will help too.

hope that helps

Isaac