key bushings

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:40:27 +0200

Hi Roger, I will try it.

My experience  is that because of wear,  the base of the balance pin is more
or less large depending the place in the keyboard (measured with a
micrometer), that is why I change them more often than not, and you know
what is the result.
If we retain the original pins, there are places where we need less fitting
than others (I mean after having changed the bushings, and steamed the wood)
. The job is time consuming but it can be done in less than 15 min.

For new instruments your method seems a time saver.
Do you have a fixture for holding the drill ? at what speed do you turn
approx (in RPM, not in MPH !)
Do you hold it straight or do you follow the hole angle (slightly slanted to
the back on most keyboards) ?

Thanks

Isaac

 -----Message d'origine-----
De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Envoye : samedi 7 septembre 2002 00:22
A : pianotech@ptg.org
Objet : RE: key bushings

    I am sorry (not really but you see...) , I will try it but I don't buy
it at first :>) as the pinning is showing more or less wear depending of the
place in the keyboard, sizing the hole to a standard size with an electric
drill may not allow the best fit (anyway not on original pins) .
  Hi Isaac,
                   Just make sure the pin is straight and polished.  We sell
lots of new Yamaha's and in any month it saves us hours of key fitting.
    When I say a quick burst of the switch, it's not much more than half a
dozen revolutions, just enough to burnish the hole.
    After steaming out old bushings, we re bush and fit in the same manner,
we have encountered no problems at all.  A set can be done in 5 mins or so.
    Try it and let me know what you think.
  regards Roger