Schimmel Upright question

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 23:12:27 -0700

Hey Avery--------

>List,
>
>Does anyone have any experience with Schimmel uprights?
A bit.  they're pretty good quality uprights.
>I received this from
>one of my outside customers and will be going to check it out in the next
>day or so. Here's a part of the e-mail:
>
>>Dace bought a replacement, a Schimmel vertical, from the Piano Store on
>>Westheimer.  Unfortunately, I
>>don't remember the model number, but the piano listed for approximately
>>$13,000.  While trying out the
>>piano in the store, Dace noticed that the touch was just a tiny bit heavy
>>and asked if it could be adjusted
>>if he decided to buy the instrument.  He was assured by the salesperson
>>that the action could indeed be
>>adjusted.
>>
>>However, after Dace bought the piano, he was referred by the Piano Store
>>to Sharp and Flat Tuning, and
>>this piano technician (I don't remember his name) told Dace that there was
>>nothing that could be done to
>>adjust the action on this Schimmel.  Dace has since called the Piano
>>Store, and the salesperson there
>>now says that he mentioned nothing about the action and that he or the
>>Piano Store cannot help in any way.
>
>Now why doesn't this surprise me from a "typical" dealer?
Because most dealers, unfortunately, are dishonorable weasels.  This is
my personal experience over 26 years.  MOST, certainly not all.   It
seems hard to find a good one.  But don't get me started....  :--)

>My initial thoughts are tight bushings and/or tight balance rail holes or
>dampers that are lifting too soon, causing that "heaviness". Or possibly
>friction in the pinning.
Yes, probably something very simple.

>Any other ideas before I go look at it? I've never dealt with a Schimmel
>upright before but I can't believe that a piano with that reputation can't
>have that particular problem solved relatively easily! Am I wrong?
I don't think so.
> Thanks
>for any help.
No problem.  should be easy to rectify.  I would bet you a dinner if you
came to LA that the kind of dealer
who would Lie like the above did NOT prepare this piano, so it seems
pretty straightforward.

Best,

David Andersen