"Broadwood's Best" (HT)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 00:28:35 EDT

Joe writes:
>! Which one is the one that all you Hysterical Tuning types, are referring
to? Or to put
>it another way, which one is "Best"/your preference, and why?
>Seems a bit confusing to have Two Broadwood's Best tunings.

Greetings Joe,
    To really begin appreciating the temperaments, you need to listen and
compare them to one another.  Your ear will quickly begin recognizing that
there are a variety of new sounds and you may become aware of deeper level of
aural sensitivity, ie, true tonal recognition.  It is not usually a common
skill, since without an unequal temperament,  the elements of this harmonic
texture don't exist.
     Try both of them, and see what you think.  The one I used for the
"Greig" on "6 Degrees" uses the following offsets from ET:
C=  5
C#=1
D = 3
D#=3
E= -2
F=5
F#=0
G= 5
G#=2
A=0
A#=4
B=-1

      You have four expressively wide thirds,(C#,F#,B and E), Ab is nearly
so.  No pure thirds, but the C-E is only about 7 cents wide and certainly
feels smooth.  The Broadwood's "usual" tuner has rougher divisions and offers
more tonal contrast and I have wondered if the usual guy wasn't more
representative of the actual practise at the time.  I don't think everybody
at the factory could be the "best".
Regards
ED Foote RPt