Rim Width

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:40:54 -0400

How wide is the inner rim beveled area of a Steinway D - or what width is about the maximum that one commonly runs across (that is, how thick is the joint between the inner rim top surface and the soundboard edge)? I need to make clamping blocks for clamping a soundboard to the rim, and want to make the lower edge (the part that presses against the soundboard) as wide as the wider beveled areas of pianos. I know the D has a fairly thick rim - but perhaps that doesn't have much to do with how wide the beveled top part is.Thanks.

Terry Farrell