pulley keys - special tool from oliag (wood washers)

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 06 Sep 2002 16:30:50 -0400

Newton,
         Not that I am trying to belabor an already strained thread but
what do you find wrong with the approach that uses a router to remove the
offending section of wood and then replacement with a new block with hole
drilled in. I'm just guessing here but doesn't Mr. Onesti's method simply
duplicate where the hole was in the first place? I've seen a great many
keys where I would move the hole if I could. Thoughts?

respectfully,
Greg Newell

At 12:23 PM 9/6/2002, you wrote:
>Hi Greg,
>
>I had an inexpensive, very old piano with post holes for key bottoms and
>I was not at all satisfied by all other methods I had used in the past
>for this piano.  When I saw Onesti's solution I immediately realized his
>was the only viable approach available.  So I got the tool set (paid for
>by the university) and it worked out extremely well for that old piece
>of almost junk they owned.
>
>Admittedly I would not purchase such a tool unless I could amortize the
>expense over five sets of keys in a relatively short period of time,
>like two years.
>
>But then I was rebuilding four or more actions a year in a school
>setting where damaged holes are common.
>
>I just hate doing a job I know is inferior to another approach.  Once I
>learn something new I cannot go back to the old ways unless the old ways
>are better than the new, which happens all too often.
>
>Yes, I am entitled to my opinion, especially when it is based upon
>experience.
>
>Of course, in my opinion, opinions are like sewer pipes, everyone has
>one and most of the are odoriferous.
>
>Just my opinion mind you. :)
>
>                 Newton
>

>Greg Newell wrote:
> >
> > Well Newton you're certainly entitled to your opinion. For my money I've
> > seen systems that should work just as well for a great deal less money. One
> > was written about in the Journal I believe. I rarely gripe about the price
> > of tools myself unless I don't believe there is an even trade of tool for
> > money or that the tool exhibits a fair value for the money spent. I'm glad
> > you enjoyed using Mr. Onesti's tool. I won't!
> >
> > Greg Newell

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net