separated pin block

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 06 Sep 2002 15:14:53 -0400

In a message dated Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:55:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, lesbart1@juno.com writes:

> I have a customer with an Everett console, the pin block on which is
> separating from the back posts and frame.  Not much more than 3/16 of an
> inch at the bass end, none at the treble end. Does one simply remove the
> top row of plate screws, drill all the way through, and put stove bolts
> through, or does one also use part of the screws lower down?
>
> What diameter of bolts?
>
> Does one have to lower tension on strings before pulling them up?
>
> Does one put glue down in the crack?
>
> The piano seems awfully dry. A heater bar with a small brown box was
> installed, but I have a hunch the little brown box didn't
> turn the bar
> off, and it's been drying away for some years.
> thanks
> les bartlett

Les

I have seen cracks like this on pianos that are just there. They do not get any wider or longer. So a separation is not necessarily a very bad thing.

However, to be on the safe side, you don't want to let the crack get any bigger. To keep it from spreading, remove the top row of plate screws in the offending area, drill a 1/4 hole all the way through to the back, and install 1/4 stove bolts. If you don't want the bolts to protrude out of the back of the piano, you can counter sink the hole back there, and cut off the bolts, once you have tightened them down.

I personally don't think you need to let down the tension, nor close up the gap and put glue in there. You can do both, but in my opinion, it's a lot of extra work, for no additional improvement to the problem. In other words, closing up the gap and putting glue in the crack, is not going to make the piano play or sound any different, and it won't prevent the crack form spreading.

Wim