key bushings

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 06:51:28 +0200

David,

I (try) to use the correct fit for the cauls so even if they are in place
for long, the sizing is "perfect" what I not-iced was that on some jobs
where I removed the cauls sooner, I had to use the pliers more than I like,
so that mean the wood had swell due to remaining moisture.

A thicker bushing cloth will always tend to come back in size and slow the
key . But many of the cloth sold today are totally inappropriate for bushing
work , too soft and rapid wear expected.

Regards

Isaac
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
David Ilvedson
  Envoyé : vendredi 6 septembre 2002 03:25
  À : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : RE: key bushings

    When you leave the caul in for that long do you find you need a tighter
fit, i.e thicker bushing cloth or you end up with too much play?

    David I.

    From: Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre <baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca>
    To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Subject: RE: key bushings

    Hi Isaac,
    I usually leave the cauls a few hours, but noticed that the sizing is
not as stable as I like sometime.

  I have also noticed the same thing on field repairs using PVCE glue, some
times get a recall for a sluggish key.

    But as I use most often heated brass cauls, I guess the drying is faster
(in surface anyway)

  Bin thar done dat.  Still do it if I'm in a hurry.  Usually on a rebuild,
we do every thing that is needed to the keybed, then the action analysis, to
determine what parts to order.

  I think the big area of movement, is the reaction of the water in the
glue, on the key button. Leaving them a couple of days, we have found no
sizing is needed on the bushings, only sizing the balance rail hole.  This
we size with a polished balance rail pin, chucked in a battery operated
drill, one quick pull of the trigger, and the hole is sized to perfection.
We size from the top down.  No guess work as to where the friction is coming
from.

  Key bed fitting, friction control, and key fitting, is perhaps one of the
most neglected jobs in our craft.
  Regards Roger