pulley keys - special tool from oliag (wood washers)

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 17:18:19 -0400

At 03:13 PM 9/5/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I just looked at this web page. Thanks for the heads up Newton. "A little
>pricey" has got to be the understatement of the year! a plug cutter with a
>drill bit in the center, a 4 bladed drill bit with a bit in the center, 2
>extra bits, an Allen key, and a handful of key pins for $550 ? You gotta
>be kidding!
>
>Greg Newell

 > At 11:18 AM 9/5/2002 -0400, you wrote:
 > >This is exactly why the Onesti system is so superior.  All the little
 > >pins you see are all different sizes.  The keys are sorted by the sizes
 > >of the holes then that pin is used to guide the cutter.  You can use any
 > >wood you wish, poplar, maple, birch, beech, but lemon wood (if you can
 > >get it) is best because of it's natural lubricity.
 > >http://www.onestipiano.com/pages/bhrs.html

 > Jon Page wrote:
 > It seems a little pricey at $555.00 for the occasional repair.

 >Well, what do you want, junk or craftsman's tools?  I had a set at
Rutgers and it worked very well indeed. {shrug}
                 Newton

They aren't a lot of money when OPM is involved.  (Other People's Money)
But for unfunded shops the Schaff tool has the recess cutter for under $20.
The fiber inserts mic .375 (3/8").  A 3/8" plug cutter is short money if
you want to make wooden plugs.
A jig can be set up on the drill press table to center bore the disks for
the appropriate size balance rail pin
and you're into it for under $30.

Maybe the price is high because most his customers have government
contracts, you know;
the $500 hammer and $1000 toilet seat requisition slip clientele.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com