Capo shape question

Thu, 05 Sep 2002 20:58:07 +0200

Isaac OLEG wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Do some of you noticed a lot of string breaking on a Steinway B or
> other make with strings changed a few years ago, but capo badly shaped
> almost flat, no V shape or even reverse U shape, more a large more or
> less round surface.

A poorly shaped capo is a problem no matter which way you look at it. My
experience tells me that Vacumm cast plates, or capos that have been
subjected to quite a bit of hardening like a rounded off rather wide U
profile, while softer capos like a thin V shaped profile. When possible to
employ, I personally like the latter best. Tho you will find plenty of
differing opinion.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.