key bushings

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:32:13 -0500

>Anyway for schools I consider using leather now. Have someone any
>experience on using it on brass pins without problems (dirtiness, wear
>of the pins or noise ?)
Hi Isaac,
                I have been using Kangaroo hide, available from Schaff
under player supplies.
It's fairly consistent at .050" thick. And less noisy than the product from
Renner.
We use it only for the balance rail hole, size the mortice carefully, with
sizing cauls.  Then insert with bush master, for even depth.  they are
flush cut to the button by using some custom made cauls, and a sharp razor.
They are worth the effort, for heavy use.
No problems with the old Yamaha brass pins. Now I can only speak for our
dry climate.  There could be different results in areas of very high
humidity, and industrial pollution???????
Regards Roger
.