pulley keys

Matt Wynne ptuner@optonline.net
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 08:54:50 -0400

At 01:08 PM 9/4/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm trying to get an upright ready in a hurry for a cheap temporary
>rental. The balance rail holes are ugly. Lots of missing wood. Some keys
>are really loose. Center punching around the hole? What size, shape tip?
>How close to the hole? How deep? Then glue size?
>I heard also of making a kerf cut and installing piece of veneer. Front
>and back? I think I could make a cut with my drywall knife that would be
>wide enough for the veneer edging I have. Would I then just size the hole
>or drill it out?
>Thanks
>Keith R

Here's a quick-and-dirty variant on the CA glue method recently posted:

Take a new key pin, of the appropriate diameter and insert it into the
offending key so it sticks out of the bottom 1/4" or so.

Apply some CA glue around the pin so that it fills the area of
missing/compressed wood; add kicker.

When the glue is hard, tap the key on the table, from the bottom once or
twice until the  key pin pops out.  Now you have an exactly sized hole.

Flat file the glue bead so that it is flush with the bottom of the key.

Take an old key pin, same size, and score it between two files.  This is
similar to what is done for a center pin vise.

Insert the scored key pin into a drill chuck and you  can use it for
precisely sizing key hole to the key frame key pin.

Good luck
Matt