removing key pins

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:31:01 +0200

Hi,

I would suggest using a screwdriver or a dowel under a Vise grip pliers to
act as a lever. May be using your torch to heat the pins can help them
enough to move easily.

When the pin have begin to move finish by hand taking care of pulling
straight to avoid ovalisation of the hole.

I believe it is possible to use a riveting tool, but the standard models are
too small to hold the pin (balance pins) . Professional models - air
driven - may do the job but are not cheap.

Usually pins are very easy to pull off . using a drill I'll be concerned by
heat production and big enlarging of the hole. Consider too the R.H. while
doing the job, as for pinning, if you are on a very humid period the holding
may be stronger (while difficult to ascertain when inserting the new pins)

Regards

Isaac OLEG

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
Keith Roberts
  Envoyé : jeudi 5 septembre 2002 13:27
  À : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : removing key pins

  The front rail pins being rusty around the base and swollen are so tight
they are hard to even turn much less pull out. They are not drilled all the
way through so removing the key frame and driving them out from the bottom
is not an option. Any tricks? I am an ex plumber/pipefitter so I KNOW brute
strength and dumb luck. I'm considering using my right angle drill. Since
the pins are oval I shouldn't have to tighten up the chuck much to get them
spinning.
  Keith R