removing key pins

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 08:17:51 -0400

At 04:27 AM 9/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>The front rail pins being rusty around the base and swollen are so tight
>they are hard to even turn much less pull out. They are not drilled all
>the way through so removing the key frame and driving them out from the
>bottom is not an option. Any tricks? I am an ex plumber/pipefitter so I
>KNOW brute strength and dumb luck. I'm considering using my right angle
>drill. Since the pins are oval I shouldn't have to tighten up the chuck
>much to get them spinning.
>Keith R

The lower portion of the front rail pins are round.
A long pair of diagonal cutter will lever them out when the cutters are
levered against
a small block. The sharp face will grip the pin well.
Turn the pins with pliers a few times to break the hold first.
Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com