pulley keys

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 04:41:29 -0700

I like this idea. Thanks Norman.
Keith R
----- Original Message -----
From: "Norman Barrett" <nbarrett@midsouth.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: pulley keys

> I made a jig for this job by installing a balance rail pin in a scrap
board. Placing the key upside down on the pin, I used the pin as a guide to
saw the kerf for the veneer. It doesn't take much and the hole winds up
being the exact size you want.

> Norman Barrett
> Memphis Chapter

rental. The balance rail holes are ugly. Lots of missing wood. Some keys are
really loose. Center punching around the hole? What size, shape tip? How
close to the hole? How deep? Then glue size?
> I heard also of making a kerf cut and installing piece of veneer. Front
and back? I think I could make a cut with my drywall knife that would be
wide enough for the veneer edging I have. Would I then just size the hole or
drill it out?