key bushings (L shape at the balance)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:46:58 +0200

Hello

On quality pianos, I believe the bushing may be inserted as it was
done at first at the factory.
It add some length to the bushing, firmness, and I can feel it when
regulating the keys (and most probably when playing too)

There is a very convenient tool to do that is sold by Jahn : a 2 lips
inserter to pull the bushing thru the button, then the over side of
the tool allow to push it from the hole and have the 2 sides ready to
glue together (after cutting in the middle with scissors) .

I have done a few sets as that now, take me less than 2 hours to glue
(with brass cauls) a complete set (takes  1 hour to glue with the
'bushmaster' tool the front bushings, but to be added is the chiseling
of the sides, a little cleaning and cutting in the keys)

If the bushings are badly worn I sometime allow for the L shape up and
down (add friction)

I can send a pic if you wish, this tool can be done by yourself I
guess. Email me privately then.

I like a lot the brass cauls , and use to heat the a little (not too
much as it harden too much the felt by allowing the glue to go deeper
inside)I noticed sometime the cauls where too long and touch the
"floor" of the balance bushings.

I spray them with Teflon (Mc Lube 205) , as all the blades I use for
this job, so they stay clean longer)

I like their regularity anyway

Good bushing jobs and PLEASE, NO WHITE GLUE FOR THAT , it is almost
impossible to obtain a good gluing once done and the wood is hardened
, as the felt, these jobs don't last and are noisy anyway.

Thanks

Regards

Isaac OLEG