pulley keys

Scott Jackson jurjens@tpg.com.au
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:43:15 +1000

Keith,
I've just repaired a lot of keys by completely drilling out the old
balance hole area with a circle cutter, and installing maple plugs on
the underside. This takes some time to do, and it is tricky to ensure
that the new hole is centred so that all the keys remain aligned front
to back. You can see the tools for this sort of system at either of
the
addresses below:

http://www.oliag.ch/SpecialsTools/specialtools2.html

http://www.onestipiano.com/pages/bhrs.html

You did say you were in a hurry, so try the simplest ideas first. If
they work, great, but if some keys are too badly damaged, you may have
to try this.

Scott Jackson
Jurjens Pianos
Wollongong Australia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Roberts" <kpiano@goldrush.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, 5 September 2002 6:08
Subject: pulley keys

I'm trying to get an upright ready in a hurry for a cheap temporary
rental. The balance rail holes are ugly. Lots of missing wood. Some
keys are really loose. Center punching around the hole? What size,
shape tip? How close to the hole? How deep? Then glue size?
I heard also of making a kerf cut and installing piece of veneer.
Front and back? I think I could make a cut with my drywall knife that
would be wide enough for the veneer edging I have. Would I then just
size the hole or drill it out?
Thanks
Keith R