Dae Woo piano questions

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 23:36:37 -0400

Hi,

I had a quick look at a 5' grand today that I promised to come back
to.  This lady just bought it used and I am concerned about a couple
of things.

First of all, the cat she bought it from said he bought it new seven
years ago and it was rarely played.  Well, just by the glance I had I
think it is older and it was obviously played often.  The hammers are
grooved and it is obvious that someone replaced three bass strings.
A fourth is missing still.

The piano is a "Willis & Sons" stencil made by Dae Woo.  I have had
the good fortune to avoid these until now.  It is a model G-1A,
serial #8610195.  My Pierce Atlas dates back to the Reagan
administration.  Does anyone know when this piano was built?

Also, the broken bass string that is missing, there is still the coil
of the original wire on the pin.  (broken at the agraff of course)
Where the string went through the agraff, the string is worn FLAT.  I
don't mean a little.  It looks like it was flattened with a hammer on
an anvil.  I have never seen wear like this.  What in the world did
this?  Is this why they have been breaking?  Are all the strings
going to be like this?  I have seen the common stress or wear on a
string before but this is really extreme.

As always, I appreciate everyone's help.

chris
--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
School of Music, Ohio University