Schimmel Upright question

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:10:11 -0700

Yes, I would definitely eliminate all friction in the action and see if =
that helped first. Probably that will make a large difference, but it =
not, then check the damper timing, as noted in your post, and then check =
the key weighting. I doubt if it's that, but it possibly could be.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Avery Todd=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 6:18 PM
  Subject: Schimmel Upright question

  List,

  Does anyone have any experience with Schimmel uprights? I received =
this from
  one of my outside customers and will be going to check it out in the =
next
  day or so. Here's a part of the e-mail:

  >Dace bought a replacement, a Schimmel vertical, from the Piano Store =
on=20
  >Westheimer.  Unfortunately, I
  >don't remember the model number, but the piano listed for =
approximately=20
  >$13,000.  While trying out the
  >piano in the store, Dace noticed that the touch was just a tiny bit =
heavy=20
  >and asked if it could be adjusted
  >if he decided to buy the instrument.  He was assured by the =
salesperson=20
  >that the action could indeed be
  >adjusted.
  >
  >However, after Dace bought the piano, he was referred by the Piano =
Store=20
  >to Sharp and Flat Tuning, and
  >this piano technician (I don't remember his name) told Dace that =
there was=20
  >nothing that could be done to
  >adjust the action on this Schimmel.  Dace has since called the Piano=20
  >Store, and the salesperson there
  >now says that he mentioned nothing about the action and that he or =
the=20
  >Piano Store cannot help in any way.

  Now why doesn't this surprise me from a "typical" dealer?

  My initial thoughts are tight bushings and/or tight balance rail holes =
or
  dampers that are lifting too soon, causing that "heaviness". Or =
possibly
  friction in the pinning.

  Any other ideas before I go look at it? I've never dealt with a =
Schimmel
  upright before but I can't believe that a piano with that reputation =
can't
  have that particular problem solved relatively easily! Am I wrong? =
Thanks
  for any help.

  Avery