Schimmel Upright question

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:06:21 -0700

Avery,
I think you may find that tight key bushings and balance rail holes to
be a good place to look.  Lately, the grands (three in two years) that I
have encountered all had problems in this area.

Jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Avery Todd
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 6:18 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Schimmel Upright question

List,

Does anyone have any experience with Schimmel uprights? I received this
from one of my outside customers and will be going to check it out in
the next day or so. Here's a part of the e-mail:

>Dace bought a replacement, a Schimmel vertical, from the Piano Store on
>Westheimer.  Unfortunately, I
>don't remember the model number, but the piano listed for approximately

>$13,000.  While trying out the
>piano in the store, Dace noticed that the touch was just a tiny bit
heavy
>and asked if it could be adjusted
>if he decided to buy the instrument.  He was assured by the salesperson

>that the action could indeed be
>adjusted.
>
>However, after Dace bought the piano, he was referred by the Piano
>Store
>to Sharp and Flat Tuning, and
>this piano technician (I don't remember his name) told Dace that there
was
>nothing that could be done to
>adjust the action on this Schimmel.  Dace has since called the Piano
>Store, and the salesperson there
>now says that he mentioned nothing about the action and that he or the
>Piano Store cannot help in any way.

Now why doesn't this surprise me from a "typical" dealer?

My initial thoughts are tight bushings and/or tight balance rail holes
or dampers that are lifting too soon, causing that "heaviness". Or
possibly friction in the pinning.

Any other ideas before I go look at it? I've never dealt with a Schimmel
upright before but I can't believe that a piano with that reputation
can't have that particular problem solved relatively easily! Am I wrong?
Thanks for any help.

Avery