Schimmel Upright question

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 20:18:26 -0500

List,

Does anyone have any experience with Schimmel uprights? I received this from
one of my outside customers and will be going to check it out in the next
day or so. Here's a part of the e-mail:

>Dace bought a replacement, a Schimmel vertical, from the Piano Store on
>Westheimer.  Unfortunately, I
>don't remember the model number, but the piano listed for approximately
>$13,000.  While trying out the
>piano in the store, Dace noticed that the touch was just a tiny bit heavy
>and asked if it could be adjusted
>if he decided to buy the instrument.  He was assured by the salesperson
>that the action could indeed be
>adjusted.
>
>However, after Dace bought the piano, he was referred by the Piano Store
>to Sharp and Flat Tuning, and
>this piano technician (I don't remember his name) told Dace that there was
>nothing that could be done to
>adjust the action on this Schimmel.  Dace has since called the Piano
>Store, and the salesperson there
>now says that he mentioned nothing about the action and that he or the
>Piano Store cannot help in any way.

Now why doesn't this surprise me from a "typical" dealer?

My initial thoughts are tight bushings and/or tight balance rail holes or
dampers that are lifting too soon, causing that "heaviness". Or possibly
friction in the pinning.

Any other ideas before I go look at it? I've never dealt with a Schimmel
upright before but I can't believe that a piano with that reputation can't
have that particular problem solved relatively easily! Am I wrong? Thanks
for any help.

Avery