Potential Customers

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 09:31:38 -0700

D.A.

>>I bet your a surfer dude and that's why you moved to Malibu..that and the
>>chicks...am I right?
>Ah, speculative fantasy: it makes fools of us all. (<g>)
>Actually, I've never surfed on a board; body surfed 2 times in my life.
>I like to go to an uncrowded pocket beach (there are several of these in
>Malibu---so beautiful), unfold my chair, pitch my umbrella, watch my kid
>dig a hole, read a book, and look at the ocean, the rocks, the sand, and
>the sky. And the pulchritudinous young women.

Come on...you've got warm water there, how can you not want to surf?
Where I live the water is freezing year round, which is my excuse for never having surfed...;-]

  >>You picked a town that has a large percentage of the rich, but I bet you
>>didn't do that on purpose, it was the sun & beach?
>No---it was because my girlfriend owned a condo there, and I was
>sub-leasing an apartment in North Hollywood, in the heart of the San
>Fernando Valley, and we wanted to live together before we pulled the
>trigger on marriage---her place or mine?  You do the math.

1 + 1 = 1 house

>>But being rich doesn't necessarily mean a more discerning customer than
>>anyone else.
>Not necessarily.  But the creative/bohemian rich are sometimes nice and
>discerning both, and sometimes a**holes.  It's wierd, but the vast
>bulk---70%---of my practice is outside Malibu.

You don't happen to know Brian Alexander, owner of KeyOne?  I believe he
has warehouse space in Buena Park or Hollywood?

>> They just happen to buy the
>>most expensive pianos.  Which is very nice!  Definitely sounds like a
>>"can't lose" situation...over time.
>The only "can't lose" situation, to me, is to get so good at pianos while
>practicing the Golden Rule that money becomes literally not a factor for
>people; their instrument sounds and feels a WHOLE lot better than it did
>before you got there, and they enjoy your company and your obvious love
>for and interest in your work and their instrument; you bring tremendous
>value into their lives. At that point, you can start becoming
>ultra-selective, and charge as much as the most expensive guy in town. At
>least---LEAST---charge what a plumber or car mechanic charges you----but
>really more like what your CPA or your tax person charges. I'm underpaid
>for my skill level and my dedication, my concern----are you?
>>In this and just about any business honesty and hard work equal success,
>>that's basic business sense.
>Plus:
>-talent
>-self-confidence
>-commitment to your craft
>-clear ethical lines
>-a genuine enjoyment of people
>-an attitude of service

Hallelujah!

>>You do have to work on pianos for other referrals to come your way.  Where
>>did those first pianos come from?
>In my case? From working on pianos at a store, and gradually pulling
>together a client base from initial warranty or "free" tuning visits,
>plus phone calls to the store requesting a technician. If you do good
>work, the word of mouth starts to happen pretty quickly.  Or it did for
>me.

>>Although I haven't ever sent out fliers (seems tacky...like a lawn
>>service)
>Well....it totally depends on the content and visual presentation of the
>flier.  Mine was elegant, kind of "old-looking," with funny and
>intelligent copy.  It was what I'd like to get if somebody sent me a
>flier.
>And I bought addresses of homeowners in Malibu and one adjacent town down
>the coast who had some connection with music---symphony subscribers,
>members of media or entertainment unions or guilds, college
>professors----very expensive names & addresses because of the specificity
>of the list.

>> those 25 new
>>clients probably gave your name out to friends who did the same and thats
>>how a business is built.
>Yes.
>>I've always advertised in the Yellow Pages and get plenty of calls and
>>customers to more than pay for it.
>That's fantastic.  And it does feel legitimate, I bet.
>>Anyway, you live in a piano tech's fantasy world...you lucky guy!
>I am incredibly lucky.  And grateful.
>>
>>David I.

>Where in California are you?

>My best to you----David Andersen

Pacifica, 15 minutes South of SF...home of the Fog Fest, which is coming up at the end of September.

David I.