Piano Bash editorial

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:20:25 EDT

This post is in response to the letter to the editor by David Hughes, RPT,
from Baltimore. He felt the destruction of the Baldwin electric piano at the
convention was in bad taste. While I respect David's comments, I wonder if
perhaps we take ourselves way too serious some time. What was being destroyed
was an obsolete instrument that had seen better days. The parts to the
instruments are no longer available, and thus, what was being destroyed was
not a musical instrument, but a "thing" on three legs.

Yes, we should all strive to do out best to make pianos play to the best of
their ability. But we should not loose track of the fact that pianos are
inanimate objects, without feelings, and with a limited life expectancy.  I
realize there are people out there who "fall in love" with their pianos, and
that preserving a 125 year piano that belonged to their grand father, (much
less a 20 year old electronic piano that has out lived it's usefulness), is
worth the thousands of dollars needed to repair it. But we as piano
technicians should have the fortitude, and the knowledge, to realize when a
piano has outlived it's usefulness. We should not get caught up in the
sentimental bovine extract that some of our customers want us to believe that
their instrument is worth much more than the money they want to spend to fix
it. We should be able to tell our customers that the best thing to do with
their beloved instrument is to donate it to the local landfill, or allow it
to be used at the annual carnival to be used as a battering ram, or in a
demolition derby.

David, with all due respect, what happened at the convention was good clean
fun. The object of our destructiveness was nothing more than a piece of wood,
metal, and plastic that resembled the shape of a piano. Nothing more. Nothing
less. Not to make fun of your opinion, but my only comment to you, and it
comes with great admiration for your feelings, is to lighten up.

Just my thoughts

Wim