The True Properties of EBVT

SidewaysWell1713@AOL.COM SidewaysWell1713@AOL.COM
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 05:39:54 EDT

Ed Foote lied and tried to escalate a fight on this list as he has done many
times in the past by saying:

> This
> doesn't change the fact that the ebvt creates a more tempered E-G# of
> 17+cents than the F#-A# of 13.7.  It is folly to think that going up two
> semitones will somehow make the F# third seem to beat faster.  It doesn't,
> and the harmonic balance is poor because of it.

These are the correct figures which Ed knows are correct and do not create an
imbalance but instead, Equal Beating, which is allowed under Werkmeister's
rules:

E3           17.5

 F#3         16.0

I tune by ear, so rather than depending on a program, I listen to what I am
doing.  The very last thing I would ever do is create a temperament which has
the kind of imbalances which Ed maliciously used to try to discredit what
I've been doing for 10 years.

Many of you may not understand what this argument is about but that doesn't
really matter.  What does matter is Ed Foote's history of making public,
defamatory statements.

Therefore, I have adopted a new screen name which I will use to remind
everyone of this.  I'll keep using this screen name until Ed Foote admits
that the EBVT does indeed meet the Rules of Well Tempered Tuning.

The EBVT has never substantially changed since it was designed 10 years ago
but Ed Foote has been trying to discredit and supress it all along.  Anyone
can design their own temperament who wants to, it's not at all difficult.  I
had designed several before hitting on the EBVT idea which produced the most
generally appealing sound of any idea I had known of before or since.

I'm sticking to what I know how to do and will not be intimidated by someone
who can only copy numbers out of a book.  There are many people who have
learned to tune the EBVT and there is growing interest in it.  That will
continue as will this reminder that Ed Foote once again went way too far.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin