Lost Motion and Touchweight

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:51:49 -0500

>...I have never had
>anyone complain about the piano having a heavy touch after having the lost
>motion adjusted. My experience has been that the piano plays better...

Patrick, List,

When you took out the lost motion, you caused the action to be
engaged sooner and longer, thereby creating the semblance of a
heavier touch.

It is an easy thing to demonstrate on almost any vertical action by
pressing the soft pedal. The touch will feel lighter and suprising
faster with the pedal engaged than with the soft pedal released. Less
engagement time.

>I'm scratching my head as to how to put the
>piano back out of adjustment in order to satisfy her...
>Thanks, Patrick Poulson, RPT

Reintroduce lost motion, thank them for letting you know, and chalk
it up to a terrific learning experience.

Adjusting a piano according to specifications doesn't necessarily
make it play better, especially when someone is already used to it
the way it is.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician