Pythagoras and scales

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:26:29 EDT

Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no (Richard Brekne) writes:

> For the straight skinny go to
>
> http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Pythagoras.html
>
> Pythagoras was in the end a mystic.

Thanks for this, Richard.  I picked up on this quote right away:

 "Of Pythagoras's actual work nothing is known. His school practiced secrecy
and communalism making it hard to distinguish between the work of Pythagoras
and that of his followers."

It seems that some people will grasp at *any* straw to try to show that ET
always was, is now and forever shall be:

"He truly
> despised
> > carnivores and formulated the scale which we all
> use
> > in pianos ( and most Western music ) today."

Skip Becker wrote a series for the PTG Journal on the History of Tuning.  The
first chapter begins with Pythagoras and what is known about his tuning
discoveries and practices.  The entire chapter can be accessed through my
website.

Here are a few pertinent quotes:

"Pythagoras was the first to quantify that dividing a string length in half
produced an octave, a ratio of 2:1. A 5th was produced by a ratio of 3:2, and
a 4th by a ratio of 4:3. He thus proved that musical tones were based in
numbers. Leibnitz may have said it best: 'Music is mathematics for souls who
don't know they are calculating.'  As tuners, we work everyday with the
Pythagorean comma, which is commonly expressed mathematically by the ratio
81:80.  For Pythagoreans this comma was not the troublesome obstacle it is
for us. Instead, it was good news. The twelfth 5th in the cycle does not
complete, but rather exceeds the octave. This implies not just completion,
but a new beginning: renewal and rebirth."

Pythagorean Tuning

"Pythagoras was concerned with only three intervals. The octave (his
favorite), the 5th, and the 4th. He called the octave the diapason , which
means through all the chords (strings on the lyre). The intervals 4th and 5th
get their names from the number of strings they encompass. These intervals
had to be perfect, or pure. The interval of the 2nd was derived from dropping
a pure 4th from the perfect 5th. The 6th was achieved by a perfect 5th above
the 2nd. The 3rd came a 4th down from the 6th, and the final 7th was a
perfect 5th above the 3rd. It should be noted that this is a tuning system,
and not a temperament, as not a single note is tempered.

Pythagorean intervals are noted for being very large. In terms of beats per
second, the major 3rd from C3 (C below middle C) to E3, beats about 8 BPS in
Pythagorean intonation. That's about 3 BPS faster than the same third in
equal temperament. Equal temperament cents (100 to a semi-tone) provide an
excellent gauge for comparison to today's standard. The cents deviation from
equal temperament for Pythagorean tuning is: C=0, D =+4 , E =+8, F = -2 , G =
+2, A = +6, B =+10. The 3rd, for example, is over 8 cents larger than Equal
Temperament's already very large major 3rds (13.7 cents above the just 5:4
ratio). Compared to the just intonation of his time, Pythagorean 3rds sounded
like a discordant jangle (22 cents wider than just)."

I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound like "the scale which we all use in pianos
( and most Western music ) today".

Although Pythagoras and his school are known for some of these early
scientific discoveries, they were also believers in things we know today had
no foundation in truth at all.  Not only did they not invent nor use ET, they
thought any kind of tempered interval was destructive to society.  They also
thought the earth was the center of the universe and that the planets each
had their own tone (the Music of the Spheres).

Look what happened to the first guy who tried to tune a tempered scale:

"For example, when Timotheus, one of the most celebrated poets of antiquity,
entered Sparta with his 12 string lyre he was arrested and brought to trial
before the high council. The arrest warrant is extant:

      "Whereas Timotheus, the Milesean, coming to our city, has deformed the
ancient Music; and laying aside
                  the use of the 8 string lyre, and introducing a
multiplicity of notes, endeavors to corrupt our youth by
                  means of these novel and complicated conceits, which he
calls chromatic; by him employed in the room
                  of our established, orderly, and simple music....It
therefore seemed good to us, the King and Council,
                  after having cut off the superfluous strings of his lyre,
to banish said Timotheus out of our dominions,
          that everyone beholding the wholesome severity of this city, may be
deterred from bringing among us
                  any unbecoming customs."

It is ironic however, to note that the same kind of irrational and emotional
thinking exists today as did 2500 years ago.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin