New Steinway D problem

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 18:59:28 +0200

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I think your diagnoses is correct.  Take the screws out and see if it is
> loose enough to remove.  This brace can often be removed with no effect
> on the piano.  Others are so jammed in that you cannot remove them.
> Take it off and bush the ledge ends and replace.
>
>                 Newton

What would you suggest to bush with ? What the risk of not being able to get
the screws back in once the are out ? And if so, would stringing down
tension take care of that problem ?

Thanks Newton

>The downbearing will take care of itself as the soundboard crown reverses,
>if it isn't already. I'd be more concerned with breaking the plate. I know
>there is some leeway there for flex, but I'd sure hate to find out the hard

>way how much is too much.

>Ron N

Thanks Ron. Are you suggesting I should back off this bolt again ? I suppose
I could check the downbearing with a rocker, and compare to the areas
around. I suppose also I should take a good look at the crown both right
under this and in the surrounding area. I was alarmed about the plate stress
as well right off when hearing about this.

Much appreciated advice.

Cheers

Ricb

--