smoke damage

Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:18:58 -0700

Does cigarette smoke have the same corrosive properties?

What is the substance of choice to clean the smoke smell from unfinished =
wood?

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 03, 2002 6:21 AM
  Subject: Re: smoke damage

  In a message dated 9/2/02 7:20:44 PM Central Daylight Time, =
wayne.hohle@sympatico.ca writes:=20

    hi list=20
    i tried and failed to get info from the archieves today about  smoke =

    damage to pianos so i hoped you might respond..=20
    a customer had a small fire in the kitchen that generated enough =
smoke=20
    and soot to thoroughly cover the piano. there is plenty of soot =
inside=20
    the piano and sticky smoke all over it inside and out as the lid was =
up.=20

    apparently the fire was small and not a lot of heat reached the =
piano.=20

    what is the best approach to cleaning this up=20

    thanks=20
    wayne=20

  Wayne=20

  This has been brought up a couple of times, but I'll answer again. =
Soot is a corrosive, and will eventually damage the strings. If it is =
only smoke and soot damage, all the parts need to be thoroughly cleaned. =
However, you cannot get soot and smoke out of felts, so they need to be =
replaced. Also, soot will get under the strings, especially at the =
pressure points, like the bridge and hitch pins, agraffs. And, as I =
said, it will penetrate felts, especially the understring felts.=20

  While the damage might not look extensive, the only correct way to =
clean the piano is to replace all the felts, like hammers, flange =
bushings, front and balance rail bushings, etc., and all the strings. In =
other words, almost a complete rebuild.=20

  I know the insurance company isn't going to like it, but be sure to =
put in writing your findings, so the owners have something to go by when =
they sue the insurance company.=20

  Wim=20