New Steinway D problem

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:48:04 -0400

At 10:25 AM 9/3/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 09/03/2002 7:00:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
>
> > when I put a little sideways pressure on the end that is
> >  screwed into the tenor/treble strutt, the buzz abruptly
> >  dissapeared. Knocking on this bar on the side yeilds a
> >  rattling / buzz noise  and it is clear this is not dead on
> >  solid at all points to the plate......
> >  [snip]
> >  I would very much appreciate any good advice you have
>
>Richard,
>
>I'd refer it right back to Steinway. It is a warranty issue; pass on your
>findings and let them fix it. Last I heard, it is not officially sanctioned
>to remove this bar, but it happens all the time, even at Steinway. I think it
>is more important for coupling than strength, except maybe while the piano is
>being moved. Why take any risk at all, or expense?
>Bob

Right, it's their problem, don't do anything to put it in your lap, unless
they authorize you to take
the steps you have in mind because then it's still their problem; not yours.

I'd be a little leery about that full turn and what it may have done to the
downbearing.
Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.