smoke damage

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:21:17 EDT

wayne.hohle@sympatico.ca writes:

> hi list
> i tried and failed to get info from the archieves today about  smoke
> damage to pianos so i hoped you might respond..
> a customer had a small fire in the kitchen that generated enough smoke
> and soot to thoroughly cover the piano. there is plenty of soot inside
> the piano and sticky smoke all over it inside and out as the lid was up.
>
> apparently the fire was small and not a lot of heat reached the piano.
>
> what is the best approach to cleaning this up
>
> thanks
> wayne

Wayne

This has been brought up a couple of times, but I'll answer again. Soot is a
corrosive, and will eventually damage the strings. If it is only smoke and
soot damage, all the parts need to be thoroughly cleaned. However, you cannot
get soot and smoke out of felts, so they need to be replaced. Also, soot will
get under the strings, especially at the pressure points, like the bridge and
hitch pins, agraffs. And, as I said, it will penetrate felts, especially the
understring felts.

While the damage might not look extensive, the only correct way to clean the
piano is to replace all the felts, like hammers, flange bushings, front and
balance rail bushings, etc., and all the strings. In other words, almost a
complete rebuild.

I know the insurance company isn't going to like it, but be sure to put in
writing your findings, so the owners have something to go by when they sue
the insurance company.

Wim