Pythagoras and scales

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:30:25 -0500

> Pythagoras was a strict vegetarian. He truly despised
> carnivores and formulated the scale which we all use
> in pianos ( and most Western music ) today.
>     Gordon Lee Stelter

Where did you read this? (That he formulated the scale which we
all use in pianos.) I am researching how Pythagoras actually
discovered the Pythagorean Comma.  I am having a hard time coming
up with his original writings, mainly because nobody else has.  I
am most interested if he actually used a monochord as many writers
claim  and if his use of the monochord lead to the establishment
of the diatonic scale or simply recognized it as a possibility out
of others.  ---ricm