Tuning the Duplex (was ...Capo)

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:19:27 -0700

    Jason, first off, did you hear the same sound as your customer?  Is =
it like a weird sustain on certain notes after they're released? I =
really doubt that it's coming from the rear duplex. Most techs don't =
ever bother with trying to tune them, if the truth were told, except =
perhaps insuring that they're in the right place when re-stringing. The =
sound you probably hear is in the rear duplex down toward the tenor =
section. If that braiding is not damping the longer rear duplex strings =
down there, you can definitely get weird rings. Therefore, do not remove =
the muting felt on c4-g4. If anything, make sure it's nice and tight. If =
you think that the noise is coming from the rear duplex, take some =
masking tape the mute the duplex. There, did that fix it?  Next, check =
the front duplex on the longer segments of wire. Let us know.=20

Owner complains that sometimes