greater purposes OT

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:40:59 -0400

List,
        The subject of building friendships has been an important one in my mind
for decades.  I am currently reading a book titled "Bonds of Iron:  Forging Last
Male Relationships."  The very first paragraph of the Foreward states:  "The
facts are clear:  millions of men are friendless.  Many of these men are highly
successful in their careers, leaders in their communities and churches, well
respected, and even admired.  But the fact remains that there is no other man
with whom they feel comfortable to share their fears and weaknesses, hopes and
dreams, triumphs and failures."
        Last Friday I got "Mr. Holland's Opus" from the public library.  This
time my focus was pulled toward the decades long friendship offered to the music
teacher by the coach.  One of my goals is that when my life is in the sunset
years I will have friendships that go back thirty, forty, fifty years and more.
I know there are some who say they don't need anybody, but that's not me.
        Just two more short thoughts.  If we keep our antennae up, we may be able
to take the first step in reaching out to others, not only waiting until they
reach out to us.  And, I certainly believe in "greater purposes."

Regards, Clyde