Hygrometer

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 06:32:58 -0600

Hi Richard,

Please notice the word *local* as in location. Where I live the only
practical way to achieve "perfect" control on an "art gallery" level is to
have three layers. A large building with an outer shell where there is
little attempt to control humidity except to keep it low enough to prevent
damage to outside walls, then a "buffer zone" where humidity is kept
somewhat higher, and finally a super controlled area where the delicate
object of arts are kept.

If we accept that building costs are say $20.00 per square foot (a
ridiculously low price) and that a full blown DC system costs $2000.00 (a
ridiculously high price) one can certainly see the "economics" of this
approach compared to the box within a box within a box.

In any event this "three layer approach" is the exact situation that our
local gallery has. They have a small grand piano. It is rarely able to
survive a twenty-four hour period where it can stand in tune due to
humidity changes.

One of our local music schools has a similar structure--but with a very
small recital hall. The room had exquisite control of humidity and
temperature. One summer the humidity controller failed. There was no money
in the budget (a paltry sum of $150.00 was needed) Of course that winter,
the soundboard on the instrument cracked and all the hammer shanks warped.

So I repeat my claim. Give me a "perfect" room in the "real world", and
I'll add a "perfect" DC system in my local, and improve on the stability of
the instrument.

At 09:38 AM 9/2/02 +0200, you wrote:
>Don wrote:
>
>> Hi Terry,
>>
>> No a room/house/facility is *not* better because they always in my local
>> fail to provide good enough humidity control, because of budget
>> restrictions. Give me a facility that is nearly perfect--and I'll add a
>> well equipped properly installed damppchaser and improve on stability.
>>

>Grin... yet another redefinition of the problem / situation... Of course a
>room facility is useless if its turned off. I think Terry was asking (and I
>tend to agree) whether or not a well functioning humidiy room system (that
>will say one that does not suffer the problems of budjet restrictions or
>other such hindrances) is better then a likewise well functioning DC.
>
>One could just as easily the DC is worse because people keep forgetting to
>fill  them up, or simply unplug them... but thats not the point.
>
>All things being equal thus,,,,,  which is better ??? I would say a well
>controlled room would be better, hands down.
>
>JMHO
>

>--
>Richard Brekne
>RPT, N.P.T.F.