Potential Customers

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 12:16:59 -0700

---- Original message ---------------------------------------->
From: Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
>1.  Yes.  Wouldn't you want to know if the roles were reversed?  I keep the Golden Rule in mind.
Believe it or not I often ask who their last tuner was if they had it tuned within a year.  If it is someone that I know is competent, I have no qualms mentioning that and asking them why they are looking for someone new.  Usually, they can't get ahold of the guy, he didn't return there call, he can't do it for a month or sometimes they had a bad experience.  I can learn from this info.  On my answering machine I encourage them to call my cell phone if they would like to talk person to person.  I have a Palm with my scheduling info on it and often can book something...
>3.  I advertised a lot at the beginning.  Nowadays I work at maintaining my credibility, treat my clients well, return phone calls promptly, take the time needed to talk on the phone, learn good listening skills, go the second mile, etc.
I also think you have to be in the Yellow Pages to be legitimate.  Finally, our local Pac Bell yellow pages has some competition.  Maybe that will bring the rates down...

David I.

>Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA
"Alan R. Barnard" wrote:
I'd like the list to share ideas about this: Telephone call: "How much do you charge to tune a piano?" 1. If it is obvious from the conversation that a pitch raise or other work will be needed, do you talk about charges beyond the standard tuning? 2. If you have a reeeeally incompetent bozo 'tooner' in the area (armed with a tuning hammer and electronic guitar tuner and literally does not know the meaning of the terms temperament, tempered tuning, inharmonicity, etc.) do you try in any way to steer the caller away from that person? 3. What "techniques" do you use to try and secure the business?