Potential Customers

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 11:04:26 -0700

List,
A few of you have mentioned you don't charge for pitch raises=
 because you can do it within your normal tuning time.  IMHO,=
 this is making the customers problem yours and I know this is=
 more wear and tear on my body, going through it twice is harder=
 work (if your younger, you might not understand this).  I'm=
 willing to take up the customers problem but I want to be paid=
 for it.  Part of my phone conversation is the fact that regular=
 service, i.e. once or twice a year, will eliminate pitch raises=
 and I quarantee that if they set up for the next appointment.  I=
 quote for the next appointment "whatever is my going rate."  All=
 customers get price increases .  My normal rate is for one hour=
 of work, which is how long it takes me to tune a piano at pitch,=
 quick vacuum of accessible areas and minor pedal adjustments. =
 Pitch raise takes about an extra 15 minutes.   I also charge by=
 the hour for all repairs etc.  I don't see the logic in breaking=
 down a repair into:  1 broken hammer repair=3D$X, 1 string=
 replace=3D$X.etc...sometimes the repair takes longer than=
 estimated time...I simply say if I'm there for 2 hours or=
 whatever it will cost $X amount.  2 hours would be twice my=
 rate.  How many of you take into consideration travel time to=
 the appointment?  Is that built into your fee structure or do=
 you figure it is cost of doing business.  For me, it takes=
 roughly 15 minutes to get to the next job and I don't add that=
 to my fee but I'm thinking about it.  I think the bottom line is=
 to look at how much money you made today and divide it by the=
 hours spent.  Look at your hourly take home fee and start=
 calling other service in the home companies, plumbers etc. to=
 see how you match up...
David I.