Hygrometer

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 10:28:48 EDT

In a message dated 9/1/2002 2:12:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

> Subj:Re: Hygrometer
> Date:9/1/2002 2:12:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no">Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>      Hi Rick

        Sorry Maybe I should have clarified . If the belly guy grabs 6
soundboards out of the hot box on a muggy summer morning pulls it out into
the uncontrolled belly room and doesn't get around to ribbing the last couple
till lunch time I'm guessin that there is going to be a tremendous difference
in the amount of crowning from the first board to the last. I've observed
this phenomena in a variety of Stwys, Mason ans Hamlin and others Some have
lots of ridging or cracks.These actually sound better than others that come
to my shop with "a perfect board" meaning no cracks but also no crown and no
eveidence that it ever had any but, cosmetically perfect. These sound wooden
with short sustain in the "money notes". They also need replacing.
   My point was that the belly room should be climate controlled and I have
no idea if it has been changed. When a board is pressed up with to high a an
emc in the compression crowned method the board can reverse crown later as
witnessed by Terry F. in one of his recent posts.
  My building isn't climate controlled either I just rib quickly as soon as
the board comes outta da box but. In Calif. we rarely have a hot muggy day
like the east and midwest. I have many summer days where the R.H. is 30% all
day. Great belly weather!Eat your heart out!