Carping about Stwy--was how many pianos...?

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 01:27:20 -0700

Hey Dale-----great response; I own my bitching and moaning, AND I agree
with you.
Paradox:
1) I love Steinways
2) the American factory does a bad job of final prep on their pianos, for
no discernible reason other than they feel they can.  But I'll tell you
what----the overwhelming feedback I get from good players who play new
Steinways is negative----unless the piano has been tweaked, as in the
case of most performance pianos not controlled by the franchises.  How
can that be good for the current company?
Good for those of us who sell rebuilt instruments----point taken.

Thanks for your wisdom......David A

>In a message dated 8/31/2002 8:44:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bigda@gte.net
>writes:
>        Hi Dave
>        But Dave what is that we can do short of boycotting working for Stwy
>dealers and new Stwy owner. When you say why do we put up with it, what is
>IT
>that can be done.
You're right, Dale.  There is not one damn thing we can do; just
me-as-blowhard making one of those impulsive Aries statements.

> Plenty of techs have complained to no avail. What about a
>petition? If  Thousands of techs signed it would this change the way they do
>business? Honestly petitions don't work often even in government. I'm calmly
>asking a fair question. what is it you suggest?
Nothing.  I'm just bitching.  The damn actions should be better than they
are.
They should use different bass strings. They should prep to the level of
M&H or their Hamburg brothers. On and on.  It's just a supreme head
scratcher.
>   Many of us sell many a remanufactured Stwy based on that mine and others
>often sound better, play better for usually less money than the new ones as
>the client did compare ours with the unprepared ones at the dealer and chose
>to buy remanufactured.
Yup.

>  Politically speaking they're good for business even
>though I think expensive pianos of any make should come more finished. But I
>stress that's just MY opinion.
Mine too.  They are good for business, in a myriad of ways.
>    There is a lot of carping about "the way Stwy does it" but don't they
>have the right to put out a piano any way they wish?
Absolutely.  Free country, free market.
> Even if we disagree. I
>for one and for selfish reasons am glad the company survives.
Me too.
> By the way we
>carp about many products made by corporate America. We don't have to buy,
>sell or fix them.
>   Like it or not Steinway is the industry leader or one of them. They're
>the
>piano that all others are compared to. I wish mine were but I'm not that
>famous. Nevertheless. I see this as a personal integrity issue for those
>most
>offended by the Steinway Corporation.
>    For example a true environmentalist does not throw a way things that can
>be recycled, eat at Mickey Ds and toss away the styra -foam containers, or
>feed bears at Yellowstone. Why? because of their convictions. No, not
>felonies, personal ones.
>    My point is that for all techs who can't abide the Factory policies on
>advertising, the actions that need to be tweaked, (a pedantic factory
>attitude, or however you perceive it) and hold such strong Anti- Steinway
>feelings should simply refuse to support them in any way shape or form. This
>includes refusing to take another dollar from the Steinway business at large
>whether it be private clients or Stwy dealers. This includes not selling
>rebuilds,Installing soundboards fixing actions etc. I think this mode of
>action would be consistent with true conviction.
Dale.  Ease off.  I love American Steinways; they're my favorite overall
piano, pound for pound.
They comprise 80% of my shop's work, and about 50% of my practice in the
field.  That said, most, not all, of the Steinways I love best are
pre-WWII.
>   However this would put many out of business including me. It would
>seriously damage the income levels of most who would follow through on this
>strongly held convictions. Our nations musicians/pianists would be the
>poorer
>for it. Performances would suffer etc.
I totally agree.
>    My point is money talks and unless a company,corp. or individual is
>subject to economic hardship, changes we perceive that need to be made, will
>not be made.
>    My own position is that I wish to make a substantial difference on the
>Stwys that come to me as raw material thereby providing a level of musical
>experience hopefully that is becoming  more common by the efforts of myself
>and many like you on this list. And yes profit by it,
>artistically,professionally and financially.
I completely agree.