Carping about Stwy--was how many pianos...?

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 00:40:11 EDT

In a message dated 8/31/2002 8:44:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bigda@gte.net
writes:
        Hi Dave
        But Dave what is that we can do short of boycotting working for Stwy
dealers and new Stwy owner. When you say why do we put up with it, what is IT
that can be done. Plenty of techs have complained to no avail. What about a
petition? If  Thousands of techs signed it would this change the way they do
business? Honestly petitions don't work often even in government. I'm calmly
asking a fair question. what is it you suggest?
   Many of us sell many a remanufactured Stwy based on that mine and others
often sound better, play better for usually less money than the new ones as
the client did compare ours with the unprepared ones at the dealer and chose
to buy remanufactured.  Politically speaking they're good for business even
though I think expensive pianos of any make should come more finished. But I
stress that's just MY opinion.
    There is a lot of carping about "the way Stwy does it" but don't they
have the right to put out a piano any way they wish? Even if we disagree. I
for one and for selfish reasons am glad the company survives. By the way we
carp about many products made by corporate America. We don't have to buy,
sell or fix them.
   Like it or not Steinway is the industry leader or one of them. They're the
piano that all others are compared to. I wish mine were but I'm not that
famous. Nevertheless. I see this as a personal integrity issue for those most
offended by the Steinway Corporation.
    For example a true environmentalist does not throw a way things that can
be recycled, eat at Mickey Ds and toss away the styra -foam containers, or
feed bears at Yellowstone. Why? because of their convictions. No, not
felonies, personal ones.
    My point is that for all techs who can't abide the Factory policies on
advertising, the actions that need to be tweaked, (a pedantic factory
attitude, or however you perceive it) and hold such strong Anti- Steinway
feelings should simply refuse to support them in any way shape or form. This
includes refusing to take another dollar from the Steinway business at large
whether it be private clients or Stwy dealers. This includes not selling
rebuilds,Installing soundboards fixing actions etc. I think this mode of
action would be consistent with true conviction.
   However this would put many out of business including me. It would
seriously damage the income levels of most who would follow through on this
strongly held convictions. Our nations musicians/pianists would be the poorer
for it. Performances would suffer etc.
    My point is money talks and unless a company,corp. or individual is
subject to economic hardship, changes we perceive that need to be made, will
not be made.
    My own position is that I wish to make a substantial difference on the
Stwys that come to me as raw material thereby providing a level of musical
experience hopefully that is becoming  more common by the efforts of myself
and many like you on this list. And yes profit by it,
artistically,professionally and financially.
   I owe Steinway a HUGE debt even if I don't happen to agree with some of
their business philosophies. For the record I didn't say that I have or
haven't. Just my slant on things. No flame suit required.
   yes The dialogue continues
    Dale Erwin