Pricing: was Reshaping VS new hammers

Sun, 1 Aug 2094 23:40:46 -0700

Ron:

Am I wrong or is this getting under your skin just a bit.  Clearly, this is
complicated discussion to do it real justice.  The subject is replete with
clichés that attempt to describe how prices are set and what the code of
conduct is with respect to what constitutes a fair price both in terms of
the value of my time for me and the value of the service I provide for the
customer.  Most of them are worthless.

But to digress for a moment, I was probably premature in my comment.  The
genesis was whether or not $2000.00 dollars for a hammer filing and
regulation was a fair price.  Granted, we don't know the real details of the
service that was to be provided and it is often the case that services as
represented by the customer are different than those delivered or intended
by the technician.  That being said, however, if the service was accurately
represented, then $2000.00 for a filing and regulation is on the high side.
Even at $100.00 per hour, 20 hours to accomplish that task would have to
include at least an extra inning game at Royal's Stadium.  But since we
don't know the extent of the service that was to be provided, to jump up and
say it is an outrageous price is not fair to the technician who proposed the
work.  It would be a mistake to send this inquirer back to the tech
screaming foul when we don't really know the details.  He/she should at
least be given the benefit of the doubt.  At the same time, the pianist who
went to the trouble to post the question to the list deserves as honest an
appraisal as can be delivered.

Back to the main point, I was sincere in my post that I think most techs
undercharge.  I think Ed Foote's comments on the fear factor were very
apropos.   I think we generally represent a group of highly skilled
craftsman who, in order to do a job well, require substantial training
and/or experience.  In addition, we have to be diligent in keeping up with
changing technologies and ideas and be able to implement those new ideas
efficiently and effectively.  We play psychologist to insecure performers.
Concerts and recordings live or die by our skill or lack of.  We are noticed
mostly when things go wrong.  We spend too much time in our cars and too
much of the air we breath contains toxic materials.  For that we should be
highly rewarded.  Then,  we also tune Lester spinets for those who don't
know regulation from constipation.  The same ones that say, after you've
raised pitch a minor third, "Was it much out of tune".  We should be highly
rewarded for that too, but that person doesn't understand the justification.

So, somewhere in there we set our sights on a price that seems fair and
reasonable, that makes it worthwhile.  We use the industry as a guide.  We
do it based on what "feels" right, and like Ed said, we usually set our
sights too low.  We could try and compare ourselves to other industries, but
it's difficult.  Architects?  Engineers?  Doctors?  Who knows.

If you want to analyze the issue financially, then you  have to consider all
the factors of self-employment:  tax penalties, retirement, health care,
vacations, sickness, and the opportunity cost of what you might otherwise be
doing.  Then you have to look at your real earning potential in terms of all
sources: tuning, rebuilding, sales, commissions.  You have to then determine
what kind of income you need to allow for living and investment and price
yourself accordingly.  If that price puts you way outside of what the market
currently will bear, then maybe you should consider some other line of work
or find a way to broaden your income potential by expanding the scope of
what you do, specializing to the trade, etc..  I also think that frequent
market research (how much are others charging) and regular and periodic
price adjustments are necessary in order to be sure that you stay at the
edge of the envelope.  There is a line that can be crossed, I believe,
though I can't say I know how to quantify it.  There is no guarantee that
charging top prices won't alienate some customers (the Lesters of the
world). At the same time, customers expect to pay for quality and the
reverse is also true: they don't respect what they don't pay for.  Nothing
tends to compromise one's work more than the nagging feeling that you're not
getting paid enough for what you are doing.  But if you deliver consistent
quality and always give a little more than is expected, then I think you can
charge top dollar, feel good about it, customers will appreciate what they
are getting, and best of all, they will refer you.

David Love