Shellac and Everclear

Mon, 19 Jul 2094 20:23:04 -0700

Though there are some "other" techniques being talked about, I would =
stick with lacquer/acetone.  The ratio of the mix will depend on the =
amount of solids in the lacquer, the type of hammer and what you are =
trying to accomplish. =20
With S&S hammers I use a nitrocellulose lacquer diluted with acetone in =
varying strengths: 3:1, 4:1 and 5:1.  I will use the stronger mixes in =
the upper range (1st and 2nd capo sections) and weaker mixes going down. =
 With the S&S hammer the mixture must penetrate under the strike point.  =
I actually apply the lacquer from the sides of the hammer so that I can =
get it directly under the strike point and not let it get to the =
crown--especially important in the low tenor.  If I want to bring out =
the attack a bit I will then apply a few drops (or less) directly on the =
strike point.  In situations where you need quick results (for instance, =
pre concert prep) you can use plastic dissolved in acetone.  The S&S =
concert techs use one keytop (and front) dissolved in 8 oz. of acetone.  =
I would not use this solution for trying to build up the overall =
firmness of the hammer (though some people do).  Note that lacquer =
solutions must be allowed to dry for at least a couple hours and better =
overnight.  They will continue to harden somewhat over the ensuing =
weeks. =20

By the way, I don't use hardeners on tensioned hammers (Renner, Abel) =
except in very unusual situations. =20

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20