From: "Phillip L Ford" <fordpiano@lycos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 19, 2001 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: Journal CD's

> Ed,
> Sorry you're having trouble with the CDs.  I'm finding mine to be a great
> resource.  I think they are very well laid out and fairly easy to
navigate,
> but perhaps that's because I am already somewhat familiar with Adobe
> Acrobat.  First open up the index in Adobe (there are a few ways to do
this,
> but since you said you were looking at the index I assume you can get
> to this point).  To do the search that you were talking about
> do a search (as opposed to a find).  To do a search you can:
>
> 1.  Select the search icon (on the tool bar across the top of the
> Adobe window there is a binocular & piece of paper icon).
> OR
> 2. Select the edit menu (on the menu bar across the top of the Adobe
> window), then in the edit menu select search, which will cause a submenu
> to pop up at which point you select query.
> OR
> 3.  Select the Search icon on the bookmarks portion of the screen
> (along the left side of the Adobe window).
> OR
> 4.  Hit Ctrl + Shift + F at the same time. (This works on Windows, not
sure
> on MAC).
>
> Once you do one of these things a Search window (dialogue box) should
> open.  Here is where you type in the item you're looking for (such as
> damper).  Note - across the bottom of the window there should be a line
> saying something like Searching in the Piano Journals 19xx - 19xx.  If it
> says no index selected or something of that sort then you need to click
> on the indexes button and select an index to use for the search.
>
> Click on the search button.  This should give you a list of all journals
> on that CD that contain the search term (such as damper).  You then
> should be able to click on the particular journal that you want and hit
> the view button and Adobe will take you to that Journal.  You can then
> use Find to locate terms (such as damper) within that Journal.  Find can
> be selected in the same way as Search either from the Edit menu or using
> the icon from the top tool bar (the binocular icon).
>
> To browse among the Journals you can select from one of the indexes
> that appear in the bookmarks window along the left of the screen.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Phil
>
> ---
> Phillip Ford
> Piano Service & Restoration
> 1777 Yosemite Ave
> San Francisco, CA  94124
>
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:15:08
>  Ed Carwithen wrote:
> >Hi Guys:
> >
> >  OK, I bought the "20 years of the Journal" at Reno convention.  So far,
I'm not impressed.  I put in the "New Acrobat Reader 5" CD, and that went
ok.  Then I put in Disk 1 of the journal.  Horrible grinding noise.  A menu
page of the journal came up, but grinding noise scared me.  Put in disk 2.
Grinding, but at very low level.

> >Tried a couple of other CD's in the drive.  They work ok.
> >
> >Went back to disk 2.  Looks like each copy of journal is listed.  I don't
really want to read every copy.  I tried the search button.  I typed in
"dampers."  Nothing.  It seemed to be asking for a document or something.  I
thought the CD was the document.  Soooo ...